California Science & Engineering Fair:
Getting Started with Your Project
Having trouble getting started with your project?
Here's a collection of WWW sites which address just your problem.
Help us locate useful resources. If you know of
another useful site not listed here
please add it to our list.
You will be acknowledged on our List
of Contributors, unless, of course, you wish to remain anonymous.
- A great site with a Topic Selection Wizard to help you
get ideas for your science project, an Ask an Expert
online bulletin board, and other resources to help you do
a project and be successful in science fair competitions.
Check it out!
What Makes a Good Science Fair Project?
- This short guide, written by a group of experienced judges
for the California State Science Fair, provides guidance for
students in identifying the types of projects, as opposed to
their subjects, which make good science fair projects.
Discovery Channel School: Science Fair Central
- Subtitled "Creative Investigations into the Real World."
This site contains not only a complete guide to science fairs
for student, teachers, and parents separately, but also some
interesting science articles and a link to the Discovery
Young Scientist Challenge for grades 5-8.
Super Science Fair Projects .com
- With separate sections directed to students, parents, and
teachers, this site has good advice for everyone. The site also
attempts to be comprehensive in its coverage from selecting a
project, through the final presentation to judges.
Mr. McLaren's Science Fair Survival Page
- An excellent compilation of resources answering the
questions "what makes a good project?" "how do you go about
doing an experimental science fair project?" and "what
further resources are available on the Web?"
Science Fair Projects & Experiments by Branches of Science
- Suggestions for science fair projects, divided by field of
interest and age.
Virtual Science Fair Project of the Day
- Just what it says. Each day a different project is highlighted.
Cyberspace Middle School Science Fair
- A great page for getting help with the beginning stages
of your science fair project. It includes a "help desk" where
you can ask questions, suggestions of possible project topics,
Science Fair Project Steps
Experimental Science Fair Project Guide
- Two separate, but related, guides from Minnesota. The first
outlines steps in preparing a project (complete with an ideas list),
while the second focusses on the preparation of an experimental
project at different grade levels.
All Science Fair Projects.com
- A growing collection of links to project ideas. Searchable.
- An extensive collection of links to project ideas, as well
as helpful tips and suggestions for doing your project.
Fun Science Activities Online
- Just what it says
The Ultimate Science Fair Resource
- A collection of project and display hints, as well as
a collection of links such as are contained on this page.
Eduzone - Science Tips
- An outstanding collection of helpful guides for (separately)
students, parents, teachers, and fair organizers. Although the
site is run by a commercial organization, the articles are written
by independent educators.
Science Fair Internet Resources
- Compiled by the Louisiana State University library.
Science Fair Home Page
- From the Home Page: "The purpose of the site is to help
Young Scientists and Experimenters put together a solid
Science Fair Project based on the scientific method."
Science Fair Primer
- From Ted Rowan, Falmouth High School, Fallmouth, MA.
Battlefield's Super Science Fair Projects and Experiments
- A list of good questions which would form the basis for a
science fair project. From Battlefield Middle School
The Chicago Public Library Science Resource Page
- A page with useful ideas for science fair projects. While
the site is specific to that one (physical) library, you can
probably find many of the same books near you.
Youth Science Foundation
- Useful ideas organized by grade level including
primary grades (1-4),
elementary grades (4-6),
junior high (7-8), and
high school (9-12). From Newfoundland, Canada.
- Ventura County
Science Fair Ideas
- A collection of ideas organized first along subject
category lines, followed by a grab bag of ideas, good project
titles, and more.
- National Student Research
Center Recommended Web Sites
- A collection of Web links to sites ranging from suggested
science fair project topics to guidance in completing the project.
(MA) Schools Science Fair Assistance
- A guide to the process of developing science fair projects
separated into two groups: grades 6-8 and grades 9-12.
- Electrical Education: Science Lessons and Activities
- Suggested by Tom Coner.
- Handyman’s Guide to Tinkering
- Suggested by Tom Coner.
- WWW Virtual
Library: Science Fairs
- A list of all known science fairs with WWW sites. Fairs
range from local to international.
Mon Dec 9 11:17:19 PST 2019
California Science & Engineering Fair